From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 05:21:28
1 > On 2018-12-03, at 23:16, Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Not so much just for verification, but I'd also check out ddrescue. If the tool dumps your media easily, it's probably good. If it struggles, you may at least still have a workable image by the time it is done.
4
5 The lasers in older game consoles are very weak and they get even worst with age. They don't tend to do well with many scratches. The disc may read in a PC with scratches, but then fail to load in the console. I have found PC drives to be far more resilient to scratches compared to consoles.
6
7 In the case of PlayStation 1, in the interest of space, they went with mode 2 XA format which makes the discs lack error correction codes. This means if the disc fails in a PC it definitely will fail in the console with no way to correct.
10 Andrew