From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kconsole lost PTYs
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:07:20
1 James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
2
3 More Info on this problem:
4
5 > " Kconsole is unable to open a PTY (pseudo teletype). It is likely that this
6 > is due to an incorrect configuration of the PTY devices. Kconsole needs to
7 > have read/write access to the PTY devices."
8
9 Well I found a temporary work around, but it does not solve
10 the problem.
11
12 When the system boots and gives me the kdm login screen, I have to
13 first ssh remotely and run these commands
14
15 chown root:tty /dev/pty*
16 chown root:tty /dev/tty*
17 chmod 666 /dev/null
18
19 I'd sure like to know what to remerge to fix this problem.
20 hal ? udev ?
21
22 /dev/null has been complaining for weeks, but I just ignored it.
23 It started complaining about the time I had problems with xrdb:
24
25 x11-apps/xrdb
26 Available versions: ~1.0.1 ~1.0.2
27 Installed: none
30 NOW I cannot ignore this problem anymore.
31
32 idea?
35 James
36