From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange blocks b behavior
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:16:12
1 on Wednesday 04/30/2008 Neil Bothwick(neil@××××××××××.uk) wrote
2 > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:58:23 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 > > These questions are coming up a lot lately, and it's always the same
5 > > stuff: how the hell do I read this output? I don;t have these things
6 > > installed.
7 >
8 > [good stuff snipped]
9 >
10 > Two other things that help. You have 228 packages marked for
11 > installation. you can make things a lot clearer by installing some of
12 > them separately, to reduce the size of the list. Use the --oneshot and
13 > --update options to prevent pollution of your world file and update the
14 > dependencies of the files involved. You should be able to get the package
15 > list down to no more than a dozen, at which point the blocking is much
16 > easier to evaluate <insert cliche about wood and trees>.
17 >
18 > Secondly, you have the doc USE flag set. This is normally not needed,
19 > and rarely needed globally. Ebuilds should install man/info pages by
20 > default, USE="doc" adds extra documentation, usually API information for
21 > programmers, which is why it is rarely needed globally. The doc flag
22 > increases the dependencies of some packages, sometimes massively.
25 I put the doc flag in there because a number of packages -- and I
26 can't remember which ones now -- needed it, I think apache was one of
27 them, so I gave up and did it -- maybe taking it out for the time
28 being will help things along.
31 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
32 How do
33 you spend it?
34
35 John Covici