From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to prevent a dns amplification attack
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:35:17
1 On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Thursday 28 March 2013 20:53:49 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >
5 >> In my case, my ISP's DNS servers are slow (several seconds to reply),
6 >> fail randomly when they should resolve, return an IP (which goes to
7 >> their ad-laden "helper" website if you are using a web browser) when
8 >> they should instead return nxdomain, and they have openly admitted to
9 >> selling customer DNS lookup history to marketers for targeted
10 >> advertising.
14 > That is just evil. Have you no alternative to this ISP?
15
16 Not really.
17
18 I have a 100 megabit connection through the cable company; my only
19 wired alternative is DSL (1.5 mbit for almost half the price I'm
20 paying for 100mbit). Cellular or satellite are not viable options for
21 me because of comparatively poor value, latency and miniscule data
22 usage caps.
23
24 In the USA, the local governments (cities and towns, etc.) are in
25 control of regulating which utilities can use public land, and are
26 entitled to compensation from those who use it. Cable companies
27 negotiate rental of that space called a "franchise fee" so they can
28 bury cables, etc.
29
30 The franchise fee used to be a government-protected monopoly. In the
31 1980's, when cable television started booming, regional pockets of
32 cable providers were built up thanks to these local monopolies
33 allowing them to move into towns with no competition. For the sake of
34 efficiency, cable companies would build out in adjacent towns and kept
35 spreading and growing outward until at some point nearly everyone in
36 the country had cable TV services available to them, with the
37 exception of those living in rural areas which were not dense enough
38 to justify the cost of laying cables, even when presented with a
39 monopoly.
40
41 It is no longer legal for local governments to award monopolies, but
42 the damage has been done. What we have is essentially the cable TV
43 infrastructure that was laid out during the decade when local cable
44 monopolies were legal, and the cost of entry for a new player into the
45 market now is so high that nobody ever bothers. End result for
46 consumers is a lack of choice. There are some places where competition
47 exists, but those places are pretty rare, in my experience.
48
49 There are some other possible alternatives to cable internet and DSL,
50 such as municipal wifi, mesh networks, powerline and FTTx, but none
51 are available where I live.
52
53 The service I receive from the cable company here is actually
54 excellent, with the exception of the aforementioned DNS woes.
55
56 Pretty much every major ISP in the US does DNS-hijacking and other
57 shenanigans, so there's no avoiding the evilness. I believe the board
58 members of major cable and telecom companies would sell their own
59 mothers into slavery if it meant a rise in share prices or a larger
60 bonus at the end of the year...