From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:42:23
1 On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012, 07:52:08 schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
4 >> So the same old query again I guess.
5 >> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
6 >> processor?
7 >>
8 >> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
9 >> = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
10 >>
11 >> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
12 >> for me.
13 >
14 > now that I am home: you believe wrong.
15 >
16 > There are many good reasons to go 64 bit. Easier memory managment, more
17 > registers. Bigger register. Faster math because of the bigger registers.
18 >
19 > There is seriously NUL reasons to use 32bit. Zero. Zilch. Why throw away all
20 > those nice improvements - for nothing in return?
21 >
22 > Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
23 > ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit. Those who were troublemakers were
24 > also unplayable with 32bit codecs. Flash? Just works. Stable? You bet.
25 >
26 > The only use case that might come up is wine - I don't know anything about
27 > that beast. Haven't had any use for it in years.
28
29 IME, 64-bit WINE 64-bit works as well as 32-bit WINE...Which is to
30 say, your mileage will vary based on what you're doing, same as it
31 always has.
34 :wq