From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Questions for my first ebuild
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 05:04:19
1 I intend to get the Silicon Dust HDHomerun dual tuner box. It has a
2 linux library and CLI plus a separate gtk+ GUI. The linux source comes
3 with a makefile that puts stuff in /usr/local. But I want at least a
4 "wrapper" ebuild so that Portage knows about the files, and can manage
5 them. I'd prefer to write my own ebuild rather than depend on somebody
6 else to always have the most recent version supported somwehere in
7 layman. I've RTFM'd a lot, including
8 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/index.html but am still
9 unsure about a few things. Here's my setup so far...
10
11 * The latest file is
12 http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/libhdhomerun_20100213.tgz
13 (underscore instead of hyphen, bleagh).
14 * I've set PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in /etc/make.conf
15 * I've actually created /usr/local/portage/media-tv
16 * my ebuild file in media-tv is named libhdhomerun-20100213.ebuild
17 * here it is so far...
18
19 # Copyright 1999-2006 Gentoo Foundation
20 # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
21 # $Header: $
22
23 DESCRIPTION="HD Homerun networked TV tuner base library and API"
24 ACTUAL_P="${PN}_${PV}"
25 SRC_URI="http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/${ACTUAL_P}.tgz"
26 HOMEPAGE="http://www.silicondust.com/downloads/linux"
27 KEYWORDS="x86"
28 SLOT="0"
29 LICENSE="LGPL-3"
30 IUSE=""
31 RESTRICT="test"
32
33 src_install () {
34 emake -j1 DESTDIR="${D}" install || die "make failed"
35 dobin hdhomerun_config
36 dolib libhdhomerun.so
37 dodoc README
38 insinto /usr/include/local/libhdhomerun
39 doins *.h
40 }
41
42 Now for the questions...
43 1) do I need to create /usr/local/portage/distfiles?
44 2) the provided Makefile is supposed to put everything into the
45 /usr/local hierarchy. Does portage/emerge over-ride that, and if so,
46 what do I have to do to get send all files to the /usr/local hierarchy?
47 3) any glaring errors ?
48
49 I intend to pick it up next week, so I won't be able to test it
50 immediately. I do want my laptop to be ready to go when I bring the
51 tuner box home.
54 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>