From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: minimal web server
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 12:06:41
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Our rancid stuff runs on FreeBSD (I banned Gentoo from all new
5 > production installs 3 years ago...) so we mostly don't bother with
6 > packages. Good old "./configure && make && make install" is what works
7 > for us.
10 OK, although Rancid is not exactly what I was looking for. Still,
11 I'll give it a look.
14 > [1] lemme guess - you deal with actual live networks right? Real ones
15 > that people built. Not the kind of mythical networks described in
16 > Gartner white papers and Cisco training manual where everything is
17 > somehow supposed to all just magically work out the box (but
18 > doesn't...)?
21 Unfortunately, yes. Not only that, I work often in heterogenous
22 router environments. Often things that work well between a single
23 vendor's routers, do not work well with a myriad of different
24 makes, models, and firmware versions from off-brands......
25
26 The bitch of it all, is often I work on routers in non-climate controlled
27 environments, so they are rated to 40 C and beyond.........
28
29 I still cannot find the IOS syntax that compensates for heat and humidity......
30 I'm going to check out those minimal webservers, just for grins.
31
32 thx,
33 James