From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet card not working, tried tulip drivers...
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 07:41:20
1 On Tuesday 27 October 2009 23:32:07 Marcus Wanner wrote:
2
3 > Note that I do not have the same ethernet card as is mentioned in the
4 > link above, and have not been able to find out exactly what it's name
5 > is, besides the fact that the name includes "Tornado". Also note that it
6 > worked fine in the Gentoo minimal installation cd.
7 >
8 > To sum it up: How do I figure out what the name of my card is, and after
9 > that, what driver do I need?
10
11 Typical tools used to probe devices and read the details of them are:
12
13 lshw
14 hwconf
15
16 To read your PCI connected devices you need:
17
18 lspci -v
21 If you have the correct drivers for your NIC then it will show up when you
22 run:
23
24 ifconfig -a
25
26 although it may not have an IP address unless dhcpcd is running.
27
28 If these commands are not on your current LiveCD, burn a Knoppix CD/DVD or
29 SystemRescueCd or equivalent. They have all these commands available and if
30 your NIC is working they would have most likely loaded the necessary module:
31
32 lsmod
33
34 will show the loaded modules.
35
36 Finally, dmesg | grep eth0 (if e.g. eth0 shows up in ifconfig) will show you
37 what you card is recognised as:
38
39 $ dmesg | grep -i eth0
40 e100: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0x40100000, irq 11, MAC addr 00:02:a5:b6:a1:8f
41 e100: eth0 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
42
43 If as you say the Minimal CD works, then I recommend that you boot with that
44 and run the above commands making notes what is the NIC module the CD kernel
45 has loaded.
46
47 HTH.
48 --