From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma teething problems - Part II
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 09:10:43
1 On Tuesday, 25 June 2019 10:00:11 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday, 24 June 2019 21:40:07 BST Mick wrote:
3 > > According to the current wiki page these days the kde-meta has been
4 > >
5 > > replaced with plasma-meta. This is how I have configured plasma-meta:
6 > > Installed versions: 5.15.5(5)(12:58:00 14/06/19)(bluetooth browser-
7 > >
8 > > integration crypt desktop-portal display-manager elogind handbook legacy-
9 > > systray pam pm-utils sddm wallpapers -consolekit -discover -grub -gtk -
10 > > networkmanager -plymouth -pulseaudio -sdk -systemd)
11 > >
12 > > BUT ... I am thinking of uninstalling it, deplclean-ing my world and
13 > > installing kde-plasma/plasma-desktop which is the slim version, while
14 > > keeping some select kde-meta packages I need/want.
15 >
16 > I made quite a determined attempt to do that on this system. I would
17 > uninstall a meta package, then see what packages would be removed by emerge
18 > -c, and emerge --noreplace any that I wanted to keep. Sounds simple, eh?
19 > Not so. I soon found myself mired in loops and contradictory dependencies
20 > which I couldn't escape.
21 >
22 > I ended up reinstalling from scratch, avoiding as many meta-packages as I
23 > could. I tried to build on kde-plasma/plasma-desktop, but it was simply too
24 > basic. I spent a long time trying to find packages to restore what I was
25 > used to in kde-plasma, but I concluded that it would need the knowledge of
26 > a kde packager.
27 >
28 > So I do still have five meta-packages. Ho hum.
29 >
30 > I don't want to warn you off altogether, but at least be ready for some
31 > tricky work. Lots of it!
32
33 Thank you Peter, I have been down that rabbit hole myself a few times and I'd
34 rather avoid repeating it as long as I can. The very reason I have not
35 implemented the same approach on this PC and thought of stiking to the wiki,
36 is because my package-at-a-time KDE approach invariably ends up breaking some
37 of the plasma desktop integration I want/need.
40 Regards,
41
42 Mick