From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using Yahoo as Postfix relay? (Name service error for name=smtp1.mail.vip.ukl.yahoo.com type=MX: Malformed name server reply)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:32:35
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using Yahoo as Postfix relay? (Name service error for name=smtp1.mail.vip.ukl.yahoo.com type=MX: Malformed name server reply) by Stroller
1 * Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
6 > >maybe he only accepts only authenticated users to relay ?
7 >
8 > There's a link on the webpage which explains the reason - apparently
9 > they would only accept messages with a From: address like
10 > user@××××××××××××××.org from my host. Anything which I've addressed
11 > from@×××××.com has to reach them via yahoo.com's servers.
14 Yeah, one server is for relaying traffic with @... *sender*, and
15 another is for incoming traffic *to the @yahoo.com domain.
16 They're separate, one doesn't accept the stuff for another.
17
18 <snip>
19
20 > >Doesn't postfix have some feature like sendmail's mailertable ?
21 >
22 > Yes. On Googling "mailertable" I am able to tell you that this
23 > appears to be exactly the same as /etc/postfix/transport
24 >
25 > So:
26 > $ cat /etc/postfix/transport
27 > lsv.uky.edu :smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
28 > tells my server that anything going to lsv.uky.edu should relay via
29 > my outgoing SMTP account at smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk. This is a _little_
30 > clumsy for my purposes, but adequate.
31
32 hmm, looks okay for now.
33 Did you authenticate propery @smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk ?
34
35 <snip>
36
37 > >yeah, postfix gets confused by the "." MX reference for the domain
38 > >smtp1.mail.vip.ukl.yahoo.com. Although it is an unclean configuration,
39 > >I do not see what this has to do with your relay ... your postfix
40 > >just has to pull its mails (for yahoo.co.uk) to smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk,
41 > >and it has an proper A record, so what does it need the MX record
42 > >for ?
43 >
44 > Ah, looking up <http://www.mob.net/~ted/tools/mx.php3?
45 > domain=smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk> I see what you mean.
46 >
47 > I don't see why postfix is looking up the MX record for it, either. :(
48
49 Maybe he's paranoid ?
50
51 > My immediate reaction is: what if I host a fake MX record for
52 > smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk on my internal DNS? I'm not sure of the
53 > implications of that.
54
55 hmm, you could hava a try.
56
57 > >BTW: if you don't get it fixed, you may get an UUCP account for
58 > >relay at my site.
59 >
60 > I think this would only satisfy mg1.uky.edu if you yourself relayed
61 > anything to its domain via Yahoo. And for that you would require an
62 > SMTP account with Yahoo.
63
64 My relays push the mails to the MX'es defined in the domains.
65 Maybe I missed the point, but I don't see why this shouldn't work.
68 cu
69 --
71 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service
72