From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-197 USE=kmod
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 22:45:32
1 Am 27.01.2013 22:01, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Am 27.01.2013 03:24, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
5 >>>> Hi list!
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Quick question: If I deactivate the kmod use flag in udev and keep
8 >>>> sys-apps/module-init-tools, does udev still load modules or is kmod a
9 >>>> required flag for that?
10 >>>
11 >>> I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The git repository has not a
12 >>> single instance of the strings "modprobe" or "insmod", apparently the
13 >>> only way to load modules in udev is to use kmod. I think the kmod
14 >>> configure option (which is the one the USE flag activate/deactivate),
15 >>> is for systems where all the modules are built-in, like embedded ones.
16 >>>
17 >>
18 >> Okay. I thought I've heard about some dev patching udev to work with
19 >> modprobe at one point. Could be mistaken or outdated, though.
20 >
21 > The patches in the ebuild don't include anything to use modprobe:
22 >
23 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~williamh/dist/udev-197-patches-1.tar.bz2
26 Thanks for looking!
27
28 >>> Unless udev has no other means to load modules, I think disabling kmod
29 >>> assumes then that all the modules are built-in. And if you use
30 >>> modules, may I ask why you would prefer module-init-tools over kmod?
31 >>> Specially when the later is a drop-in, better supported replacement?
32 >>>
33 >>
34 >> Is it really a drop-in? I was under the impression that for example
35 >> `modprobe -l` is not implemented (mentioned in a comment on the eudev
36 >> fork on LWN). I guess that's outdated as well.
37 >
38 > No, modprobe -l is not supported, but it's trivially to emulate, and
39 > the option was already deprecated in module-init-tools. From the kmod
40 > README:
41 >
42 > "kmod-modprobe gained several features to be a 1:1 replacement for
43 > modprobe. The only missing things are the options '--showconfig' and
44 > '-t / -l'. These last ones have been deprecated long ago and they will
45 > be removed from modprobe. A lot of effort has been put on
46 > kmod-modprobe to ensure it maintains compabitility with modprobe."
47 >
48 > As you yourself commented, using an alias with find more than enough.
49 >
50 > Regards.
53 Yeah, easy enough when you know your way around shell scripts and know
54 where to look. In my opinion, it is still kind of stupid to remove a
55 useful feature with no replacement.
56
57 Hmm, maybe it's time to write a better replacement. Something more like
58 eix, just for modules ...
59
60 Regards,
61 Florian Philipp