From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:38:01
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 080828 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
3 >> 080828 BRM wrote:
4 >> Reading all those KDE4 reviews I really can not understand
5 >> why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather KDE3.
6 >
7 > My estimate (also based on reading & screenshots) is
8 > that it is 60 % eye candy, 30 % hype & 10 % useful improvements:
9 > the basic motivation is to make it work well with Qt 4 .
10 > Dolphin is offered as a simpler alternative to Konqueror file-management,
11
12 And if I understand correctly, then main reason for Qt 4 is that KDE
13 apps should then be able to run on other OSes (read that as windoze).
14
15 I tried Dolphin on a Kubuntu system, IMO it is a giant step backwards
16 from Konqueror (ex, no fish://).
17
18 Also from what I gather KDE 4.1 is another developer release with 4.2
19 target as the first user (usable?) release.
20
21 On the plus side, the synergy of KDE4 apps is improved (example, common
22 address book) so we can look forward to a smoother user experience.
23
24 On the negative side, the nvidia binary drivers still have major
25 performance issues with KDE4. This is a show stopper for me. If nvidia
26 does not fix their drivers by KDE 4.2, I'll have to replace video
27 cards... Of course that assumes nvidia is still around after their
28 packaging fiasco. :(