From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 11:35:34
1 Thanks Alan (and everyone else),
2
3 One important follow-up below...
4
5 On 9/29/2015 8:28 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > It would be wise to clarify with the devs exactly what it is they are
7 > looking for.
8
9 That is the purpose of my upcoming phone call with him.
10
11 > And overall, in your shoes I would be firm, adamant and above all polite
12 > and say that infrastructure changes go through you and you alone, and
13 > must be vetted by you with full transparency.
14
15 That is what I've been doing so far, but I think the boss is getting
16 close to just saying 'give it to them'...
17
18 But - no one has addressed my main question...
19
20 I understand that 301 redirects are performed by web servers only, you
21 can't really do these in DNS. However, some Managed DNS providers -
22 DNSMadeEasy included - offer this ability as a service. DNSMadeEasy
23 calls them 'http redirects', and the actual redirect is accomplished by
24 one of their own web servers they have set up to handle these.
25
26 Is it 'normal' to do these 301 redirects at the DNS level like that? I
27 would think they should be using the current web server hosting the
28 current site to start doing the redirects as they get the new landing
29 pages done? Apache does this using a .htaccess file (if I'm interpreting
30 my googling responses correctly).
31
32 And now that I worded it that way - how would they do that exactly?
33 Would the proper method be to redirect it to a new test domain, ie:
34
35 www.example.com/page1.htm >> www.new-example.com/newpage1.htm ?
36
37 Or save the new page on the old server, then do:
38
39 www.example.com/page1.htm >> www.example.com/newpage1.htm ?
40
41 Now I'm confusing myself...