From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X-Server-1.8 and Intel i915 modesetting stability
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 00:08:20
1 On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:49:38PM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > What, you mean after going blank? Not that I would have noticed. If you
3 > mean after the xserver crash, see three sentences below ;)
4
5 Oh, my bad. So I assumed that you also checked the kernel logs then. Are
6 you sure there's no kernel trouble _very early_ in the boot process?
7
8 I don't know about the Dell model you have, is it a laptop? Some
9 motherboard BIOS/ACPI are known to have a bug where they mis-report
10 the lid status of the laptop, and so on boot the computer "thinks" the
11 lid is closed and turns off the screen. Though the kernel would
12 usually complain about not finding an active screen attached to the
13 video card or something like that.
14 >
15 > >>
16 > >> 2. Once the XServer runs, it is extremely unstable. It gets killed and
17 > >> restarted by XDM every few minutes. dmesg and Xorg.0.log haven't shown
18 > >> anything suspicious.
19
20 Is this with a window manager or is this also with the vaniila TWM +
21 xterm?
22
23 I mean, if something crashes, somebody somewhere ought of have a log,
24 right?
25
26 Best of luck,
27
28 W
31 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
32 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
33 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton