From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] basic grub question
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:05:22
1 On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:52:57 -0400 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wednesday 15 Jun 2016 11:05:13 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > You can't use the nouveau drivers and the nvidia driver at the same
7 > > > time, so this is the problem. I did try that once, but at the time
8 > > > which was quite a while ago, it didn't work.
9 > >
10 > > Perhaps I've missed it, but is there any reason you must have nvidia-drivers
11 > > rather than nouveau?
12 >
13 > I have a nvidia card, so I need the nvidia drivers, unless I am missinng
14 > something?
15
16 It is possible to use nouveau driver instead of nvidia drivers.
17 nouveau is a free software, it is also compatible with linux
18 framebuffer drivers (if I remember this correctly), but 3D
19 acceleration will be poor to broken compared to the propietary
20 nvidia drivers, as well as some other features (like advance power
21 management, cooling states and so on).
22
23 Results vary depending on a hardware used, but usually nouveau is
24 sufficient when user needs only office, web or video and is
25 unacceptable when user needs 3D-related stuff (gaming, modeling,
26 etc).
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko