From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:32:44
1 On Mar 13, 2012 2:19 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:54:58 +0700
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > > The idea of trying to launch udevd and initialize devices without
7 > > > the software, installed in /usr, which is required by those devices
8 > > > is a configuration that causes problems in many real-world,
9 > > > practical situations.
10 > > >
11 > > > The requirement of having /usr on the same partition as / is also a
12 > > > configuration that causes problems in many real-world, practical
13 > > > situations.
14 > > >
15 > >
16 > > I quite often read about this, and after some thinking, I have to
17 > > ask: why?
20 > I've also thought about this and I also want to ask why?
21 >
22 > I stopped using a separate /usr on my workstations a long time ago when
23 > I realized it was pointless. The days of 5M hard disks when the entire
24 > OS didn't fit on one are long gone. The days of my software going tits
25 > up at the drop of a hat requiring a minimal repair environment to fix
26 > it at boot are also long gone (my desk is littered with LiveCDs and
27 > bootable flash drives).
28 >
29 > So I can't find a single good reason why /usr *must* be separate and my
30 > workstations are the only machines that will ever have hotplug booting
31 > issues.
32 >
33 > I'm even considering changing the install standards for the company
34 > servers to dispense with separate /usr, as long as there are safeguards
35 > against clowns who don't read INSTALL files and happily
36 > accept /usr/local/<package>/var as a storage area.
39 I just did some more thinking, and *maybe* the reason is to prevent
40 something under /usr (src and share comes to mind) from growing too big and
41 messes up the root filesystem.
42
43 Place the offenders on a separate partition, then mount them under /usr,
44 and all should be well...
45
46 Rgds,