From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Proxy questions
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:10:59
1 I know, in general, what proxies do -- caching, filtering, and
2 bypassing firewalls. I have even written a couple of very special
3 purpose proxies. Now I need one for work, and don't realy want to
4 write another custom special purpose when it seems there must be a
5 canned one which can do the job.
6
7 We have some vendors who transact business over special ports with
8 custom protocols. We pay for these connections, and we only have two
9 of them, good enough for QA, but when a developer needs to test code,
10 they have to drag their machine over to QA and schedule time with one
11 of these connections. What we need is a proxy which can take any
12 number of connections on our side and funnel everything into one or
13 two vendor connections. I don't know enough of the proxy jargon to
14 know how to describe it. I imagine some kind of NAT. No filtering or
15 caching; firewall penetration will be taken care of elsewhere.
16
17 Any suggestions, or proxy education hints?
21 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
22 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
23 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o