From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasmashell consuming huge amounts of memory.
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2017 08:23:41
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I did a upgrade recently and after that, plasmashell is consuming a huge
6 >> amount of memory.  I noticed it at one point and it was taking about
7 >> 8GBs.  I killed it and restarted but it seems to keep happening after a
8 >> few hours.  After I took a nap, I nudged the monitor back to the on
9 >> state only to notice it had eaten so much memory that the system killed
10 >> plasmashell and I had to restart it then.  It also made other programs
11 >> go to swap since it was full as well.  Glad the system dealt with it
12 >> instead of just crashing the whole thing.
13 >>
14 >> After I restart it, it goes back to normal, a few hundred megabytes, but
15 >> slowly starts increasing again.  It gets old having to either logout or
16 >> restart the thing.
17 >>
18 >> Has anyone else noticed this happening on their systems?  If not, I may
19 >> rename .kde4 and see if that helps.  Maybe a bad or outdated config.
20 >>
21 >> Currently on:
22 >>
23 >> kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.10.5-r1
24 >>
25 >> Was on:
26 >>
27 >> kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.10.5
28 >>
29 >> It seems it was a Gentoo upgrade based on the -r1.
30 >>
31 >> Thanks.
32 >>
33 >> Dale
34 >>
35 >> :-)  :-)
38 > Just a FYI for anyone else having this issue.  I just upgraded and it is
39 > still doing the same thing.  I'd think if it was a bug in the package
40 > that it would be fixed.
41 >
42 > I think I'm going to try renaming .kde4 and see if a fresh start helps
43 > with this problem.
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-)  :-)
51 Well, giving it a fresh start may have made it worse.  It used to go a
52 day or so and now, I have to restart the thing every few hours.  When I
53 restart it uses about 2% of memory, maybe a little less.  After just a
54 few hours, it is already up to 7% and headed to 8%.  Thing is, it seems
55 to grow faster as it goes.  Currently on:
56
57 plasma-workspace-5.11.0
58
59 If anyone runs up on this in a search, I'm not aware of a solution, yet.
60
61 Dale
62