From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Harddisk trouble ... or not yet?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 03:53:18
1 On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 04:43 +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> [10-05-27 04:08]:
3 > > On 05/26/2010 05:19 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >Is there any way to check the disk without damaging its
6 > > >contents?
7 > >
8 > > Do you know about SMART? Install sys-apps/smartmontools if you
9 > > don't already have it, and read the manpage for smartctl.
10 > >
11 > > I add smartd to my default runlevel so the hard drives will test
12 > > themselves once every month and log the test results in syslog.
13 > >
14 > > Hm. I just noticed that smartd isn't actually running, so I need
15 > > to do some debugging now. But that's the idea, anyway.
18 > Hi,
19
20 > yes, I know smart...
21 >
22 > I was more thinking of a tool, which test the whole disc surface
23 > and reports every bad sector.
24 >
25 > Smarts is more of statistical kind: It counts events and tries
26 > to calculate dooms day from that ;)
30 Not so easy (coming in late on this thread, sorry if its been covered)
31
32 Modern hard drives insulate the outside from whats actually happening
33 internally. They have a number of spare locations they can swap into
34 use when a bad patch develops. This is invisible except to something
35 like smart reporting. Rule of thumb - when a modern drive starts
36 showing bad sectors to the outside world, its already well past its use
37 by date.
38
39 So something like SMART is the only way for the average Joe to get the
40 health of a drive.
41
42 Google has lots on this sort of thing
43
44 BillK