From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerging with distcc: What's taking so long?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 20:46:10
1 lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > what's taking so long when emerging packages despite distcc is used?
6 >
7 > I have disallowed compiling on the local machine (which is the one
8 > emerge is running on) through distcc settings because the local
9 > machine is relatively slow. Yet I can see some gcc processes running
10 > on the local machine, and emerging goes painfully slow. Using distcc
11 > doesn't seem to make it any faster, though disabling local compiling
12 > seems to help a bit.
13 >
14 > Some compilations are being run on the remote machine, so distcc does
15 > work. The log file on the remote machine shows compilation times of a
16 > few milliseconds up to about 1.5 seconds at most. The distcc server
17 > would be finished with the emerging within maybe 15 minutes, and the
18 > client takes several hours already.
19 >
20 > Is there something going wrong? Is there a way to speed things up as
21 > much as I would expect from using distcc?
22
23 You can try pump mode. Preprocessing is then done on the remote server.
24 Depending on your hardware, this could be faster.
25
26 But read carefully the manpages of pump and distcc before you use it.
27 There are some restrictions you should be aware of.
28
29 You can also try to optimize the number of concurrent compile processes
30 (-j). Watching the load counts of your client and server(s) will help
31 you to find out the best value.
34 Regards
35 wabe