From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 00:44:40
1 On 8/18/20 4:25 PM, james wrote:
2 > I find all of this *fascinating*.
3
4 ;-)
5
6 > So I have threads from 7/28 and others that attempt to discover  the
7 > (gentoo) packages necessary to run my own email services. I have (2)
8 > R.Pi4 (8Gram) and (2) more on order to build out complete
9 > mail/DNS/security for a small/moderate number of folks to use. Just me
10 > to start/test/debug.
11
12 I expect that, other than CPU speed, the four systems that you have are
13 probably overkill.
14
15 The CPUs may, or may not, be slow depending on the number of messages
16 you want to handle a day. They are probably quite adequate to start
17 with for personal email.
18
19 > I'd like to build out Grant(Taylor) and Ashley's solution for further
20 > learning and testing, on Rpi4 based gentoo systems. robust security and
21 > reasonable straightforward (gentoo) admin, is my goal.
22
23 Sorry to be pedantic, but please list out what you mean by "robust
24 security". I ask more as an exercise for you to think about, and — more
25 importantly — document goals that you'd like to achieve. This
26 documentation may seem somewhat silly, but as has been mentioned
27 multiple times in this thread, there are a LOT of options. So,
28 documenting your desires helps reduce compatible options and makes some
29 choices for you.
30
31 Don't worry if you find that your previous choice limits you. That will
32 happen. You then need to decide if you want to live with the choice
33 -or- go back a few steps and change your choice.
34
35 Note: Changing your choice is perfectly fine. Call it what it is, a
36 change, and deal with it.
37
38 The documentation you're creating is sort of a proto / alpha checklist
39 of goals that you want to achieve.
40
41 > Can either or both of you concisely list what I'd need
42 > (the ebuild list) to implement a basic, but complete, secure email
43 > system, as delineated in your recent posts? I'd be willing to document
44 > both the build and running tests, for the greater good of the gentoo
45 > community.
46
47 I will have to collect a list and get back to you.
48
49 Note: My list will be biased towards my choices. Given that I do
50 things differently than many email admins, my list is likely to be
51 considerably different than others.
52
53 > If there is interests in the tests and results.
54
55 I think that quality documentation is always a laudable goal.
56
57 > Remember, I started this  some months ago, cause Frontier does not even
58 > offer basic email services. I hate all thing cloud (deep desire to be
59 > 100% independent of the cloud) and want the ability  to remotely
60 > retrieve mails and send emails through *my email systems*. I am
61 > certainly not alone, as some have sent me private email,
62 > with similar desires.
63
64 Fair enough.
65
66 > The big corporations are trying to destroy and remove standards based
67 > email from the internet.
68
69 I haven't seen much where the big players are trying to actively destroy
70 standards based protocols.
71
72 I have seen where the big players are requiring higher and higher
73 standards than they did 5 / 10 / 15 years ago.
74
75 Note: This is neither breaking nor removing standards. If anything,
76 it's adding new public standards and making people adhere to them.
77
78 Analogy: Some states in the U.S.A. aren't removing old vehicles from
79 the road. They are however introducing requirements for vehicles to
80 adhere to more strict emission standards -or- register as historic
81 vehicles which imposes some restrictions.
82
83 > For me, it is my most useful, important and most desired feature of
84 > the internet.
85
86 I find email (SMTP(S) & IMAPS) and Usenet news (NNTP(S)) to be two of
87 the most critical Internet services to me.
88
89 The web (HTTP(S)) is extremely convenient. But I could live without the
90 web, admittedly reluctantly.
91
92 > I'm ordering up (6) static IPs from Frontier.
93
94 Will this be an 8-block (/29) of globally routed IPs? Or is it going to
95 be 6 random IPs in a larger co-mingled IP network?
96
97 Start inquiring of Frontier about how to configure Reverse DNS. Chances
98 are good that Frontier will be familiar with RFC 2317 — Classless
99 IN-ADDR.ARPA delegation. — If you're not familiar with it, I suggest
100 you read RFC 2317.
101
102 I'd also suggest starting inquiries of Frontier if they Shared Whois
103 Project (SWIP) and / or RWhois. — My VPS provider doesn't offer SWIP
104 or RWhois, and I wish that they did. — SWIP and / or RWhois are quite
105 nice to have when it comes to making your IP(s) / block(s) stand out
106 from other IP(s) / block(s) near yours. (Think in the same /24).
107
108 Note: Many things on the Internet prefer for name servers to be in
109 different /24 networks. So, having multiple on different IPs in the
110 same /24 doesn't count to many people.
111
112 > At some point, I'll put another primary bandwidth provider under
113 > this,
114
115 I would encourage you to start with a bandwidth provider that you plan
116 to stick with for a number of years. (I know, things change. Do the
117 best you can with the information you have at hand now, and deal with
118 change if / when it comes.)
119
120 I say this because it takes a fair bit of effort to turn up a mail
121 server, especially one intending to /send/ to the Internet at large.
122
123 Sure, you can largely re-use the system configuration. But there is
124 quite a bit of work / effort / reputation around IPs, especially for
125 /sending/ email servers. It's enough effort that I would hate to do it
126 for one provider if I knew that I would be switching to another provider
127 in the short to mid term future.
128
129 Such a future change would influence what windmills I would tilt at;
130 e.g. RFC 2317 delegation vs traditional NS delegation for the IP(s) in
131 question.
132
133 > with hopefully the ability to "bond the pipes" via BGP4 or another
134 > capable protocol.
135
136 With little exception, "BGP" and "Internet" almost always mean a /24
137 sized prefix, your own provider independent IPs, and your own AS. These
138 are decidedly non-trivial hurdles to jump over.
139
140 Some providers /might/ be willing to form a BGP neighbor / peer session
141 with you under other circumstances. But they are for more specific
142 things and likely don't achieve the goal that I think you want.
143
144 There really isn't much other than BGP that is used on the Internet
145 between independent business / individual entities.
146
147 To do BGP with multiple upstream providers, you're really starting to
148 talk about a small ISP level. One that's got multiple upstream
149 providers. Many small ISPs are single homed.
150
151 It is possible to have multiple smaller, non-BGP, redundant ISP
152 connections. But you will almost always do it as separate systems that
153 are addressed out of the different ISP links. This can be another
154 entirely separate thread about how you do this. The TL;DR is that MX 10
155 looks like it's on ISP Red and MX 20 looks like it's on ISP Green.
156
157 > Keeping the list of codes to a minimum, is appreciated, at least
158 > until I get the (2) boards up and running. Previously, IPv6 address
159 > mapped to these boards was suggested. I do not see any reason why both
160 > ipv4 and ipv6 cannot be mapped (routed if you like) to these R.pi.4
161 > boards simultaneously or separately, based on the test vectors under
162 > developmental/proof study?
163
164 Yes, you can easily have both IPv4 and IPv6 on the same systems. This
165 is commonly known as "Dual-Stack".
166
167 /My/ personal and professional opinion is that Dual-Stack is currently
168 the industry best practice. That being said, I'm sure that there are
169 many that will try to sway you one way (IPv4 only) or the other (IPv6
170 only). — IPv4 and / or IPv6 is another one of those pesky choices that
171 you need to make. Well, unless someone else makes it for you.
172
173 > Sorry for "jumping" this wonderful 'diatribe' but if I post directly,
174 > via Verizon, to gentoo-user, it mostly bounces (another problem).
175 > Verizon is dumping their email services too:
176
177 Ya. Many medium sized players are getting out of the market. We are
178 ending up with a few extremely large players providing end user
179 mailboxes and a lot of tiny providers providing mailboxes for a few users.
180
181 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Virtual_Mail_Server
182 >
183 > https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_server_gentoo_2007.0
184 >
185 > https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/15/this-smartphone-has-physical-kill-switches-for-its-cameras-microphone-data-bluetooth-and-wi-fi/
186
187 I would encourage you to read all of these and try to understand all of
188 them. You will likely find that you agree with some points and disagree
189 with other points. This is where those choices, and documentation there
190 of, come into play.
191
192 You will likely learn something at some point that makes you want to
193 change a choice. I want to remind you that changing a choice is
194 PERFECTLY FINE! But, stick with what's documented, or make a new choice
195 and change what's documented. ;-)
196
197 > motivated and curious,
198