From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: any news on chromium + Glibc?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 15:52:50
1 On 2021-06-07, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 7, 2021 at 7:11 AM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2021-06-07, Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> > Chromium is still broken here, all tabs blank after MORE THAN A MONTH...
6 >>
7 >> I wasn't aware there was a problem: there hasen't been any brokenness
8 >> for me[1] (current running 91.0.4472.77 ). What's the problem?
9 >>
10 >> [1] Except for a minor problem when dragging a tab out of the
11 >> window to form a new window. That's been broken for ages and is
12 >> apparently a permenent "feature" now (both Chromium and Chrom).
13 >
14 > No problem dragging a tab out of Chrome here on Kubuntu.
15 >
16 > If it's broken that would appear to be a Gentoo issue, not a generic
17 > Chrome or Linux proper issue.
18
19 I suspect the problem only happens under certain window managers. It
20 was definitely introduced at a specific Chrome/Chromium version
21 (though I forget exactly what version). It started maybe 6-12 months
22 ago, and you could avoid the problem by reverting to an older Chrome
23 version.
24
25 When you drag a tab out of a window to form a new window, and then
26 release the mouse button, the new window won't stay put. It will
27 continue to follow the cursor around the desktop (even as other
28 windows get focus) until you press any key on the keyboard. Once you
29 press a key, the window stops and stays put (they way it used to when
30 you released the mouse button after the tab drag operation).
31
32 I use openbox, but I've seen the same problem reported by Chrome users
33 under other non-Gnome/KDE desktops.
36 Grant