From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sysrescuecd gone rogue
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 19:46:40
1 On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 3:26 PM J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On June 4, 2019 5:59:49 PM UTC, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > >On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:38:14 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> > Regardless, have you used the Arch based sysrescuecd to install
7 > >> > Gentoo and are there are any gotchas I should be aware of?
8 > >>
9 > >> You can use anything. I did use the Gentoo-based sysrescuecd once to
10 > >> install Gentoo, and I also used an Ubuntu live DVD too. It doesn't
11 > >> matter. If it's Linux and boots, nothing changes.
12 > >
13 > >One thing to watch out for: if you are installing a UEFI system, you
14 > >need a live CD that boots using UEFI and not CSM.
15 >
16 > The gentoo live dvd can boot into UEFI mode.
19 Personally I just use an Ubuntu image these days - it is trivial to
20 get that working on anything, and it is also pretty easy to get it
21 working with ZFS (easier than with most alternatives at least). I use
22 zfs on most of my root filesystems.
23
24 In any case, really any solution should work. I'm all for
25 Gentoo-based ones but the Gentoo install process is pretty generic and
26 doesn't really need anything more sophisticated than
27 tar+bzip+curl/wget+chroot, and then whatever you need to partition and
28 format your filesystems. So, I find that my choice of rescue CD tends
29 to be driven more by practical concerns (what boots on the system I'm
30 using, convenient tools, package repository, etc).
33 Rich