From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] serious problems trying to go to new abi_x86_32 support
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 10:45:30
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 12:10 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > Well, now that I have put abi_x86_32 in make.conf and did those 80
5 > > packages and fixed the preserved_libs, in my next update it wants to do
6 > > 199 reinstalls to get every possible package which has that flag -- do I
7 > > need all that or should I go back to the individual packages, now that
8 > > things are fixed as far as the libs are concerned? Do I gain anything
9 > > by having all those packages have that flagg set?
10 >
11 > That's up to personal preference. You've already found a few on this
12 > list telling you that you should just set it in make.conf. You won't
13 > have trouble finding many others (including me) who will tell you to
14 > just stick it in package.use when needed only.
15 >
16 > The only thing you gain is being able to run 32-bit applications
17 > against those libraries, even if you don't have any need to. The only
18 > thing you lose is a bunch of inodes, and maybe some compile time.
19
20 Well, that clarifies things a bit -- what is strange is that I had to do
21 about 70 packages beffore portage would let the preserved-rebuild go
22 through, for future reference is there an automatic way to add all the
23 use flags, even the packages which already have other use flags?
26 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
27 How do
28 you spend it?
29
30 John Covici