From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye, Gentoo
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:57:13
1 On Friday 27 May 2011 05:31:15 Dale wrote:
2 > Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com
4 > >
5 > > <mailto:laebshade@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > > You let a small problem like the latest live cd not booting your
7 > > system scare you away?
8 > >
9 > > Have you tried using an older live cd? If it's a video issue,
10 > > maybe detecting your monitor wrong, how about turning on the
11 > > framebuffer (there's an option for that)?
12 > >
13 > > It's doable man, don't give up.
14 > >
15 > > Of course it's doable. It's just the last straw. This left my web
16 > > site down for a week; I obviously can't always keep up with Gentoo's
17 > > requirements, so I'm going to an easier distro that I'm equally
18 > > familiar with.
19 >
20 > But you will be back. ;-)
21
22 Ha, ha, ha! :-))
23
24 Ubuntu has come in leaps and bounds over the years and its maintenance is now
25 easy-peasy. The problems start when you depart from the vanilla Ubuntu distro
26 and end up with a modified system - I have been looking after a laptop with
27 Ubuntu for a couple of years now and as long as you keep to the distro way of
28 doing things it pretty much runs without problems and upgrades are almost
29 seamless.
30
31 That said for someone who's been using Gentoo for some time now it should not
32 be a big deal to look after a machine like Kevin's, even if the monitor won't
33 play initially. I'm still running Gentoo on a 13 year old Pentium III 1GHz
34 laptop which is refusing to die and compiling anything serious on it is at
35 least an overnight affair.
36
37 The monitor problem is probably a KMS configuration issue. Add nomodeset at
38 the boot line and you should probably get your monitor again.
39
40 Before you throw in the towel on Gentoo completely, may I recommend
41 SystemRescueCD. It is updated more often, has the latest drivers and pretty
42 much works better that the Gentoo LiveCD (most of the time). The only thing
43 it does not have is star, which is a package I prefer to do fs backups, but
44 that's irrelevant anyway.
45
46 Of course Kevin only knows what is best for Kevin. Enjoy your retirement!
49 Regards,
50 Mick