From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] courier imap over nfs
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 07:18:46
1 On 2 Aug 2010, at 00:11, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > ...
3 > On 01/08/2010 18:19, Stroller wrote:
4 >> Have you considered Dovecot?
7 > I haven't, no. Not for any reason other than I hit upon courier first
8 > and I has always worked pretty well until now. Is there a large
9 > advantage to using dovecot for imap over nfs? Or were you implying
10 > that it would be easier to setup on solaris?
11
12 It might be easier to set up Dovecot on Gentoo than Courier on Solaris.
13
14 I have been using courier for years, but when I needed to deploy at a
15 site, authenticating via Samba, I used Dovecot. I think this was
16 necessary because Dovecot supported PAM modules in a way that Courier
17 did not.
18
19 At one point a problem I asked for help with on the Dovecot mailing-
20 list proved to be a bug and was fixed by the developer within 36 hours
21 of me experiencing it.
22
23 I have the impression that Dovecot is lightweight, fast and secure. It
24 will be my first choice of IMAP server in the future, and I'll be
25 replacing my Courier installation here with Dovecot just as soon as I
26 get time.
27
28 Stroller.