From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SPDIF with dmix [Was: Phonon concurrent access on device]
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:21:57
1 Miroslav Flídr schrieb:
2 > Florian Philipp napsal(a):
3 >> I recently updated one of my systems to KDE4. Now I have the problem
4 >> that only one application can access the audio output at a time. If I
5 >> start a second app (for example playing a video with Kaffeine while
6 >> Amarok runs but is idle) the second application reports that the device
7 >> "does not work".
8 >>
9 >> Is this normal behavior? How can I fix it?
10 >>
11 >> Maybe it's an issue with ALSA but before I investigate this option, I'd
12 >> like to hear a "works for me" from other users.
15 > I had the same problem. I found the right solution here
16 >
17 > http://noneus.de/?p=50
20 > Miroslav
24 Good to know!
25
26 Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be my problem. Apparently I cannot
27 create a dmix setup for the "spdif" device (digital output). The error
28 message when trying to access it is "dmix plugin can be only connected
29 to hw plugin".
30
31 Here is my /etc/asound.conf:
32 pcm.!default {
33 type dmix
35 slave {
36 pcm spdif
37 period_time 0
41 }
42
43 bindings {
44 0 0 1 1
45 }
46 }
47
48 The device is a VIA VT8237 AC97 Audio Controller.
49
50 I have no clue what spdif (or iec958 for that matter) should be if not
51 "hw". Of course, they are some kind of alias but my dmix setup works
52 fine with other aliases like "front" or "surround51".
53
54 Could using another level of abstraction (jack, pulse audio) be a
55 solution? Do they support stuff like software mixing without relying on
56 ALSA?
57
58 Apparently the whole problem is unrelated to phonon. Therefore I'm
59 changing the thread topic.