From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: iptables wiki
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 16:37:53
1 On 7/5/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > 1) /etc/init.d/iptables save
4
5 > This will work if one loads the rules manually at the command line.
6 > Where do I put a scirpt of iptables command, so it is read the
7 > rule sets generated and then saved into /var/lib/iptables/rules-save?
8
9 Anywhere you like. All that matters is that you run it so your
10 iptables are setup like you want, then run "/etc/init.d/iptables save"
11 followed by "rc-update -a iptables default".
12
13 > After that if I want to modify the rules, I edit my script, run
14 > my script manually, then issue:
15 > "iptables-save > /var/lib/iptables/rules-save"
16
17 No, "/etc/init.d/iptables save" is the better choice. The file might
18 move, or the format change, or something similar.
19
20 > If I want to then test the rules, without rebooting, I issue:
21 >
22 > /etc/init.d/iptables stop
23 > /etc/init.d/iptables start
24
25 Not necessary. After running your script, the tables will be setup
26 according to the script, and you can test away. You probably want
27 your script to have the following at the top:
28
29 iptables -F
30 iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
31 iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
32 iptables -P FORWARD DROP
33
34 This flushes all rules, and resets the default policies, so that only
35 the rules that you specify later take effect. Very useful for
36 clearing out old artifacts of stuff...
37
38 > What I'm looking for is the series of steps to
39 > 1. Where best to locate my script?
40
41 Mine is in ~/bin/.
42
43 > 2. Insert (new) commands into the script.
44
45 $EDITOR
46
47 > 3. convert new scrited commands into rulesets
48 > 4. Load rulesets into the /var/lib/iptables/rules-save
49
50 Don't do this. Run your script, and let "/etc/init.d/iptables save" do
51 the work for you.
52
53 > 5. Restart the iptables/netfilter firewall
54
55 If you flush/reset like I describe above, this is not necessary, just
56 run your script.
57
58 > If what I work above [A] is correct then I just need some suggestions
59 > as to where the scipt should be located under /etc/, for
60 > consistentcy with gentoo mindsets.
61
62 You can put it anywhere you like. I prefer ~/bin/ since there I know
63 it is *not* something that Gentoo created.
64
65 -Richard
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list