From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *** URGENT *** xdg-open respawns itself until crash
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 20:10:57
1 On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 01:44:14PM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Thanks, I'll try that - though I have not much time to do so, since the
3 > machine starts swapping (though it has 8Gb memory).
4 >
5 > Furtheron I've found out, that sci-mathematics/dataplot
6 > had BROWSER=xdg-open in it's /etc/env.d/90dataplot file.
7 > Thus it went into /etc/profile.env.
8 >
9 > I think it's very strange that a package may modify
10 > such a vital environment variable as 'BROWSER'.
11
12 That is just setting the default. If you have any preferences set in
13 your user's environment, it shouldn't be affected.
14
15 > Is this a bug in sci-mathematics/dataplot ?
18 Not really. See `man xdg-open` for what this program does. (It is part
19 of x11-misc/xdg-utils, you may also want to look at the man page for
20 xdg-settings). The programs are *supposed* to provide
21 cross-platform/cross-desktop/cross-toolkit interoperability. Basically
22 trying to save you the problem from being either locked-down to your
23 current desktop environment's way of configuring "which program is
24 used to open which type of documents" and the problem of having to go
25 into every single program to change the "preferred browser" in their
26 settings when you decide that, say, you no longer want to use Firefox
27 and now prefers Opera.
28
29 In terms of a default it is a fairly sensible one, and works okay with
30 full-blown desktop environments. (Does anyone know if it works with
31 enlightenment?) So on my work compute with Gnome it is great. But on
32 my home computer with Fvwm, not so much.
33
34 W
37 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
38 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
39 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton