From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lilo 'duplicate volume id' issue after attaching esata enclosure
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:29:55
1 On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Doug Hunley <doug.hunley@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The subject line pretty much says it all. I've been happily using lilo
3 > to boot from my internal 4-disk sata array (md, raid 1) for a while
4 > now and I recently bought an external sata enclosure. I cabled it up
5 > to my machine, added 4 disks I had sitting around, and on boot, lilo
6 > throws a 'duplicate vol-id detected' error and halts...
7 > I did a bunch of googling, and it looks like if I could just get
8 > booted, running 'lilo' would actually fix the problem, but I can't get
9 > lilo booted past this error.
10
11 The LILO source code contains a diagnostics diskette that you can
12 build, maybe it can be of some assistance. It has been over a decade
13 since the last time I saw LILO so I'm unfortunately no help beyond
14 this bit of trivia.
15
16 > Ideas on how I can fix/remove the vol-id from the external disks?
17
18 Do you have another machine with SATA ports that you can hook them up
19 to temporarily and alter those troublesome bytes?