From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2015 23:46:04
1 Alex Corkwell <i.am.the.memory@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 04:06:10PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > > I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) yesterday and
5 > > indulged in a buying spree of 18 CD sets of my fave music (basically
6 > > anything pop/rock/country pre-Beatles). I now have over 20 CDs that I
7 > > want to rip to flac eventually. I dread the gruntwork in renaming
8 > > tracks like track01.cdda.wav, etc. What Gentoo ebuilds are there for
9 > > stuff that'll get ahold of track titles? Is it in the form of metadata
10 > > on the CD?
11 >
12 > I personally like using morituri [1] for ripping my CDs.
13 > It's a little bit slower than some, but very accurate (I believe it
14 > compares several reads, just to make sure there were no errors).
15 > It's not available in the main portage tree, but it's in the dev-zero
16 > overlay as media-sound/morituri.
17 >
18 > It can rip to flac (with optional cue files) and works from the
19 > terminal, if you prefer that.
20 > Additionally, it can adjust for drive read offsets when writing files,
21 > and is one of the few Linux things I've found which check the rips
22 > against AccurateRip.
23 >
24 > What's particularly nice about it is that it uses what little metadata
25 > and such it can get from the CD to look it up in MusicBrainz and add in
26 > the title, artist, etc.
27 > It also uses this to name the files according to album, artist, song
28 > title, etc.
29 > The template it uses to name the files and directories is relatively
30 > configurable, as well.
31 >
32 > If you need more configurable tagging, cover art downloading, and such,
33 > then look into Picard [2], which is in the main portage tree as
34 > media-sound/picard.
35 > It uses MusicBrainz [3] to get a whole bunch of metadata, tags, cover
36 > art, and other stuff, and can rename files much more flexibly than
37 > morituri.
38 >
39 > This is especially nice in combination with morituri, since morituri
40 > saves the MusicBrainz ID into the metadata of the ripped files.
41 > Normally, Picard looks files up by either the available metadata, or by
42 > the acoustic fingerprint.
43 > Since the MusicBrainz ID is already there, it immediately knows which
44 > album it is (although it may have the wrong release if you want to be
45 > that precise).
46 >
47 > The only caveats with Picard that I know of are that it's GUI only, it
48 > can't embed full size cover art if the image is above some large
49 > resolution, and I think that submitting extra fingerprints requires you
50 > to register with AcoustID [4].
51 > Also, it's not an actual ripper.
52 > It just works on the metadata and tags of flac, mp3, and maybe a few
53 > other types.
54 >
55 > I personally like to rip with morituri, then polish the tagging and get
56 > the cover art with Picard.
57 >
58 > [1] http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/wiki
59 > [2] https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
60 > [3] https://musicbrainz.org/
61 > [4] https://acoustid.org/
62
63 In trying to emerge morituri from the overlay I get the folloing:
64
65 make[1]: Entering directory
66 '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/morituri-0.2.3/work/morituri-0.2.3'
67 if test -e ./.git; then make REVISION; fi
68 make[1]: Leaving directory
69 '/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/morituri-0.2.3/work/morituri-0.2.3'
70 ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
71 Progress:
72 00:10
73 (null)*(null) (null)ACCESS DENIED(null): mkstemp:
74 /run/user/0/orcexec.XXXXXX-------------------------------------------------------------------------]
75 Building documentation: morituri.common.checksum
76 (/var/tmp/portage/media-sound/morituri-0.2.3/work/morituri-0.2.3/morituri/common/checksum.py)
77 (gst-plugin-scanner:3783): GStreamer-CRITICAL **:
78 gst_structure_empty_new: assertion 'gst_structure_validate_name (name)'
79 failed
80
81 (gst-plugin-scanner:3783): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize
82 Clutter: Could not initialize Gdk
83 ** Message: pygobject_register_sinkfunc is deprecated (GstObject)
84 Warning: Unable to extract the base list for
85 twisted.trial.unittest.TestDecorator: Bad dotted name
86 Warning: Module gobject._gobject is shadowed by a variable with the same
87 name.
88 Warning: 18 markup errors were found while processing docstrings. Use
89 the verbose switch (-v) to display markup errors.
90 >>> Source compiled.
91 (null)*(null) --------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY
92 ---------------------------
93 (null)*(null) LOG FILE: "/var/log/sandbox/sandbox-3700.log"
94 (null)*(null)
95 VERSION 1.0
96 FORMAT: F - Function called
97 FORMAT: S - Access Status
98 FORMAT: P - Path as passed to function
99 FORMAT: A - Absolute Path (not canonical)
100 FORMAT: R - Canonical Path
101 FORMAT: C - Command Line
102
103 F: mkstemp
104 S: deny
105 P: /run/user/0/orcexec.XXXXXX
106 A: /run/user/0/orcexec.XXXXXX
107 R: /run/user/0/orcexec.XXXXXX
108 C: /usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/gst-plugin-scanner -l
109 (null)*(null)
110 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
111
112 >>> Failed to emerge media-sound/morituri-0.2.3, Log file:
113
114 >>> '/var/log/portage/media-sound:morituri-0.2.3:20150907-233836.log'
117 So, how can I fix or is this a dead package i.e. no maintainance?
118
119 Thanks in advance for any ideas.
123 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
124 How do
125 you spend it?
126
127 John Covici