From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I get KDE to start on boot?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 04:30:59
1 On 11/14/06, Daevid Vincent <daevid@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > This seems like a newb question. I've been using my Gentoo for a few years
3 > now, and since X/KDE/Gnome/etc. never seemed to be quite stable, I always
4 > booted into command lines and then manually 'startx' JICSH.
5 >
6 > But I find myself almost always doing that these days, so I suppose it's
7 > time to make the plunge so that X starts when I boot up. I'm still a bit
8 > worried about hibernation (which I don't have working anyways - yet), I
9 > recall there were issues with nvidia and suspending to HD/RAM if you were in
10 > X. That could be old news?
11
12 For me, suspend-to-ram works better from X than from a console, using
13 the proprietary drivers. In fact if I suspend from a console, the
14 graphics card will fail to resume correctly.
15
16 Suspend-to-disk may or may not work better for you from X. Neither of
17 my systems are working with STD currently...
18
19 > Anyways, I can't get this to work. When I boot up, the screen is BLACK. Not
20 > just back-lit black, but like there's no power black. If I CTRL+ALT+1, I get
21 > to a shell prompt.
22
23 Hmm, is this a laptop? X/Nvidia can sometimes decide to drive only
24 the external video instead of the LCD, which appears as the symptoms
25 you describe. I guess this could also happen on a desktop if the
26 graphics card has multiple outputs.
27
28 Anyway, on the console, run "ps auwx | grep X" and make sure that X is
29 running. Also check /var/log/kdm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
30 error messages.
31
32 -Richard
33 --