From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pruning distfiles
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:29:33
1 On Thursday 04 January 2007 12:31, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] pruning distfiles':
3 > On 04 January 2007 20:18, Stuart Howard wrote:
4 > > On 04/01/07, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
5 > > > Hi folks,
6 > > >
7 > > > just went through /usr/portage/distfiles and deleted what I though
8 > > > was outdated - a major PITA. There must be a better way!
9 > > >
10 > > > Slight complication: My portage tree is used by different boxes with
11 > > > different world files.
12
13 My roommate and I also have a shared distfiles. We clean daily by placing
14 the following script in /etc/cron.daily:
15 #!/bin/sh
16
17 if [ -x /usr/bin/eclean ]; then
18 # If you want you can also add a grace period,
19 # so files downloaded within
20 # the last week (e.g.) will not be deleted.
21 /usr/bin/eclean -q distfiles
22 else
23 echo 'eclean not found in expected location; not cleaning
24 distfiles.' >2
25 exit 1
26 fi
27
28 > > I use this as a cron
29 > > 00 6 11 * * /usr/bin/eclean-dist -fd
30 > eclean-dist was the one I couldn't remember.
31 >
32 > Having had a brief look at eclean-dist, I don't think it uses the world
33 > file but the database of installed packages.
34
35 Non-destructive mode uses the portage tree (that is, if any existent ebuild
36 could use the file, it stays). IIRC, this includes overlays, but may not
37 include installed packages no longer in the tree.
38
39 Destructive mode does use the database of installed packages, so it won't
40 remove anything needed by the ebuild(s) you currently have installed.
43 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
44 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
45 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
46 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh