From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dbus failures
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 01:50:30
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:42:35 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3 >
4 >> I am recently getting wicd failures due to inability to connect to the
5 >> system.
6 >>
7 >> I get a wicd popup msg saying to look in wicd.log. However there are no
8 >> errors listed (full log below).
9 >>
10 >> I do get a popup from wicd saying
11 >> The wicd daemon has shut down. The UI will not function properly
12 >> until it is restarted.
13 >>
14 >> Also (probably starting at the same time) the gui from gnome concerning
15 >> battery power is wrong. It says 100% on the top bar (which is correct)
16 >> but when clicked, it indicates that both batteries are at 0%
17 >
18 > It sounds like DBus is not running. The wicd daemon does not need DBus,
19 > which is why your network connections still work, but the clients need
20 > DBus to talk to the daemon. The GNME battery applet may well use DBus too?
21 >
22 > Is DBus actually running? Is it in any of your runlevels?
23 >
24 > sudo rc-update -s | grep dbus
25 >
26 > It runs here, even though it is not in a runlevel, because something else
27 > depends on it. It is possible that you have either removed whatever was
28 > pulling it in or that the init script has changed and no longer depends
29 > on DBus. Or the dbus service is simply failing to start for some reason.
30 >
31 > Trying to start it from a terminal should identify which, if any, of
32 > these is the case.
36 I would add this to see if it is running or not.
37
38 ps aux | grep -i dbus
39
40 Then see if dbus is listed. If it is, other than the grep command
41 process of course, then it should be running. If not, well, Neil has
42 some good tips to fix that. ;-)
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
50 how you interpreted my words!