From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:25:04
1 On Saturday 20 November 2010 13:26:03 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 00:10:02 +0100, Mick wrote about Re: [gentoo-user]
3
4 > >Short of measuring the latency with some system (which I wouldn't know
5 > >how) I have experimented with setting the /boot partition on primary
6 > >and logical partitions and the difference (on a stopwatch) was
7 > >measurable in seconds betweeen having said partition on a primary and
8 > >having it on a logical. Furthermore, sda7 was slower than sda5.
9 >
10 > Unless you have the mother of all initrd's or initramfs's, you cannot
11 > have /boot on a logical partition -- only a primary partition, as BIOS
12 > interrupts will only access raw drives and primary partitions. If you do
13 > put /boot on a logical partition, you will pay the "lookup" overhead
14 > repeatedly as part of the early bootstrap process. Since you won't have
15 > a kernel running at that time. no caching, including device mapping,
16 > will be in force. It will be dog slow if /boot is not in the primary
17 > partition table.
18
19 Thanks David, this explains then why booting from a logical partition takes
20 longer. After the GRUB code has run the OS loads normally, but that initial
21 delay is explained by the lookup overhead (hence I thought that no much
22 caching is happening at that stage).
25 Regards,
26 Mick