From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 07:57:51
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
3 > Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 22:00
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
6 >
7 > I may be way off base here, but if the switch is connected to a router,
8 > packets from one PC go to the switch and then to everything else connected
9 > to it, including both the other PC and the router. Is there any chance the
10 > router is passing packets back to the switch to get to the second PC? I can
11 > imagine that causing lots of problems. However, I would hope it is smart
12 > enough to know it doesn't need to do so, since both PCs show up on the
13 > same router port.
14
15 A switch uses the Ethernet MAC destination address to forward a packet only on the 'interested' ports. What you describe would be a 'hub' [1], I don't think it's easy to find one of those on recent networks.
16
17 Raffaele
18
19 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub