From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best file system for portage tree?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:42:16
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Hi there!
3 >
4 > Is there an advantage in putting the portage tree on an extra partition?
5 >
6 > Currently, I'm using reiserfs, because I read that it is efficient when
7 > using many small files. On the other hand I also heard that it tends to
8 > get slower with every emerge --sync.
9 >
10 > Space is no longer an argument in these days, at least for my desktop
11 > machine. But I would like to optimize for speed -- emerge -DputnVj
12 > @world takes quite a while to calculate, I assume this is because so many
13 > ebuild files have to be accessed.
14 >
15 > Any tips on this? Does it make sense to use a special file system just
16 > for the portage tree? What would be best? Would it help to re-create this
17 > file system from time to time in case it gets slower with every sync? Or
18 > wouldn't I notice a difference if I just used a big ext4 partition for
19 > all portage related stuff?
20 >
21 > Anyone using a compressed RAM file system for that? :)
22 >
23 > Wonko
28 I have mine on its own partition. Faster, not sure but most likely. I
29 use ext3 for mine.
30
31 Since I am redoing my partitions, I'm looking forward to reading what
32 others say.
33
34 Dale
35
39 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
40 how you interpreted my words!
41
42 Miss the compile output? Hint:
43 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"