From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Guidance on encrypting my /home
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:08:03
1 On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 11:59:48PM -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
2 >
3 > If you want to get started on this before your new laptop arrives, I
4 > suggest starting with the initramfs and encrypting swap only. You
5 > should be able to create an initramfs that will setup the mapping and
6 > do the swapon before your root filesystem mounts. Once you have that
7 > working, and are comfortable with how the initramfs works, you can
8 > move on to your root filesystem.
9 >
10 Thanks Richard, that sounds like sound advice. Creating the initramfs at
11 first glance seems difficult. But after a little more reading, maybe not
12 to bad. By working with only swap to begin with, I _should_ be limited
13 to minimal damage.
14
15 festus
16 --
17 In all the millions of years dinosaurs roamed this planet, did any of
18 them feel the need to invent, say, nuclear weapons? Mickeyz