From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 03:05:04
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > My ASUS A8V motherboard went down so I change it with another ASUS MB
3 > M2NPV along with CPU. Both CPU's were AMD so no need to change flags.
4 > Have two hard drives both SATA 200G and 500G
5 > However, after trying to boot I get:
6 >
7 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda3" or unknown-block (0,0)
8 >
9 > In grub.conf I have:
10 > root (hd0,0)
11 > kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/sda3 pci=noapi noapci
12 > When I boot strap and run, df -h it shows all the partition correctly
13 > but all showing as:
14 > Size: 46G used: 30G avail: 15G
15 >
16 > So it would seem to me the kernel does not recognized correctly large
17 > disk drives; but it this kernel worked correctly with previous
18 > motherboard (the one that failed). BIOS is showing both hard drives
19 > size: 200G and 500G
20 > What to look for?
23 I would start by checking the kernel config. Make sure you have your
24 drive chipset BUILT INTO the kernel and whatever drivers you use for the
25 file system root is on also BUILT IN. Keep in mind, you can't build
26 those as modules. They have to be in the kernel itself.
27
28 As to the different sizes, not sure. Maybe someone who has seen that
29 will have additional ideas. May be driver related, may be something else.
30
31 Dale
32