From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 19:01:17
1 On 28 Jul 2009, at 18:52, Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Is cost-savings the advantage of using CF instead of SSD? It sounds
4 > like it might be wiser to spend a little more (low capacity SSD drives
5 > are pretty cheap now) and have a real storage device that doesn't need
6 > an adapter and is much faster, can swap, etc.
7
8 I assumed that you're looking at £100 or more for an SSD, as opposed
9 to < £10 for a CF card. I didn't check those prices, however.
10
11 Are SSDs really *that* much better than CF cards in terms of write
12 cycles? (i.e. swap)
13 How much swap are you actually using?
14
15 If the box is just a NAS, then I can't see the speed of the system
16 drive is an issue *at all*.
17
18 Stroller.
21 EDIT: I just checked & a 32gig SATA SSD is £75 including VAT here. The
22 headline price is £66, and if it wasn't for the sales tax I'd just
23 about consider that much for the convenience. An 8gig CF card is £8,
24 and that's perfectly ample space for a headless server. FWIW I went
25 for hardware RAID - secondhand 3ware 9500S - & conventional SATA hard-
26 drives.