From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Sat, 07 May 2022 19:32:29
1 On 2022.05.07 13:02, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Friday, 6 May 2022 08:59:33 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 21:37:12 BST Michael wrote:
4 >>> I've never had speakers blowing the audio chips driving them. I
5 >>> would have thought they would be protected electrically from such
6 >>> events occurring.
7 > >
8 >> The sound chips have failed on both my workstations' motherboards
9 >> over the last five years or so. They only seem to last a couple of
10 >> years. Each time I've plugged in a USB dongle instead, and both of
11 >> those have now failed. Or perhaps it's the speakers and their
12 >> amplifiers.
13 > >
14 >>> Anyway, more to the point, I had tried to configure a laptop to
15 >>> connect over bluetooth to an AVR, but I couldn't get it to work
16 >>> until I installed and used net-wireless/blueman. You may want to
17 >>> give it a spin.
18 > >
19 > > I will. Thank you. And Jack too.
20 >
21 > No joy. I get the same result:
22 > "blueman.bluez.errors.DBusFailedError: br-
23 > connection-profile-unavailable"
24 >
25 > So far none of the remedies offered on the web have helped. What
26 > would help is some idea of how the whole BT system works, but the
27 > more I look the more complex it seems.
28 Not a direct help, but maybe it will trigger some ideas - the only time
29 I've seen any message about bluetooth profiles has been with a pair of
30 noise-canceling headphones. They work fine for either "High Fidelity
31 PLAYBACK (A2DP Sink)" or "Handsfree Head Unit (HFP)" but the last
32 profile is always "Headset Head Unit (HSP) (unavailable)". These are
33 all in the dropdown for the headset in the pulseaudio voluime control
34 app, once the device is connected. I just connected my BT speaker,
35 and it only shows the first two profiles, so at least it appears to
36 recognizes that it doesn't have a mic. You should be able to get
37 similar info from the bluetoothctl command.
38
39 Jack