From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 19:40:45
1 On Fri, 16 May 2014 15:03:43 +0200, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2
3 > > That's why I'm looking at btrfs. ZFS is great, it does all I want
4 > > it to. But it is not in the kernel, which is not a major issue.
5 > > More important is that it is based on an old version of ZFS, later
6 > > versions are still closed source. That's a shame, because they
7 > > support neat things like encryption (yet another separate layer got
8 > > rid of) and it means ZFS on Linux can't really go anywhere beyond
9 > > bug fixes and minor tweaks.
10 >
11 > Yes, this way one gets stuck somehow with ZFSonLinux.
12 >
13 > btrfs also does not yet support encryption ... I assume that will come
14 > over the time, I don't know if this is still correct:
15 >
16 > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Project_ideas#Encryption
17
18 If it doesn't happen,. it is still on a par with ZFS on that front. But
19 there is always the possibility that someone will want it enough to
20 implement it... looks in the general direction of SUSE.
21
22 I like the idea of the version of RAID1 they have, where two copies of
23 the data are stored, even if you have multiple disks. It looks like it
24 should provide RAID5 like capacities without some of the overhead.
25
26 I've been moving my ZFS partitions around, which reminded me how good
27 zfs send/zfs recv are, so I can give btrfs RAID a good try out soon.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 LISP: Lots of Infuriating & Silly Parentheses