From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PS/2 mouse on a USB adaptor
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:12:44
1 On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 12 July 2010 22:59:59 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
4 >> not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
5 >> mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
6 >> so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.
7 >
8 > This is a vanilla PS/2 IBM rather old mouse (protocol ImPS/2). I've grown
9 > font of it over the years ... Oh dear! how sad can a geek get! O_O
10
11 I'm still using an old PS/2-style keyboard with said USB adapter as
12 well. It used to be white... now it's a dirty yellowish color. You can
13 have my keyboard when you pry it from my cold dead hands...
14
15 >> The larger "Y"-shaped keyboard/mouse-to-USB adapters usually support
16 >> non-USB-compatible PS/2 mice, though. I have one like this and it
17 >> works for me:
18 >> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9291
19 >
20 > Does this Y-shaped dongle contain any electronics in it? Otherwise it
21 > wouldn't be any different to a single connector.
22
23 AFAIK it does, at least the one I have seems to work with "dumb" mice
24 where the smaller connectors did not. I didn't buy mine from the site
25 I linked to, but mine looks identical and they're probably all made in
26 the same factory anyway.