From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MacBook Air (A1237) and Gentoo Linux
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:09:25
1 I recently got access to an older MacBook Air (from 2008 or so). The
2 model number is A1237, it brings a Core2Duo CPU, 2 GB RAM, 80 GB hdd ...
3
4 So I got motivated and installed refind as a help to boot from
5 live-media (USB-stick as there is no cdrom) ... in turn resized the
6 hfs-partition and transplanted some gentoo-installation in there.
7
8 I am pretty much satisfied with my efforts so far:
9
10 refind lets me chose GRUB2 ... ok, I somehow managed to configure it in
11 a way so that it does not find its grub.cfg yet. Call it a security
12 feature ;-) -> I have to manually tell it where to read that file every
13 time booting ... I will figure out.
14
15 After that I can boot gentoo and in turn also Gnome-3.8 ... fine.
16
17 Does anyone of you gentoo-users also run gentoo on such a hardware?
18
19 my todos are (for now):
20
21 * I only got the harddisk detected via IDE/PATA (so it is hda and not
22 sda now). It should be accessible via AHCI as well, but that didn't work
23 yet (and I expect some more performance via AHCI).
24
25 * Sound via pulseaudio: not there yet ... no errors, devices displayed
26 correctly, but no sound.
27
28 * suspend to ram in gnome: got to check that
29
30 * right clicks with touchpad
33 ... yes, sure, it's not the most powerful hardware anymore but it might
34 be some inbetween-device for me: better to write and surf than my
35 tablets ... but lighter and easier to carry than my thinkpad.
36
37 And it's fun to run gentoo on it ;-)
38
39 Stefan