From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] memory(gray matter) needs jog-DONE
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 17:04:53
1 >
2 > I'm not sure why your system needed to be checked for each boot.
3 > Perhaps you can post the exact error message? I'm pretty sure it wasn't
4 > fragmentation. What it *might* be saying (but again we can't verify
5 > without an error message) is that your filesystem contains errors that
6 > cannot be fixed in non-interactive mode (i.e. you need to run fsck
7 > manually).
8 >
9 > It's hard to tell you what option you need when we are unsure what
10 > problem you are trying to fix.
13 Look for the thread "running e2fsck pre-boot" on this list.
14
15 Willie Wong had the answer: tune2fs, not e2fsck.
16
17 $man tune2fs
18 ...
19 It is strongly recommended that either -c (mount-count-depen-
20 dent) or -i (time-dependent) checking be enabled to force peri-
21 odic full e2fsck(8) checking of the filesystem. Failure to do
22 so may lead to filesystem corruption (due to bad disks, cables,
23 memory, or kernel bugs) going unnoticed, ultimately resulting in
24 data loss or corruption.
25 ...
26
27 I ran it before on my SSD and it worked like a charm. But I neglected
28 to run it on the
29 SD card that holds /home and /var on my eee. Now it is starting to
30 display the same symptons. Yes I know, ext2 is rather retro, but I was
31 persuaded to use it by reading the forums and now it's a lot simpler
32 just to run tune2fs rather thman scrap the system and start again.
33
34 mw