From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cannot upgrade to zfs 0.8.x
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 20:29:16
1 On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 12:04:47 -0400,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 7:46 AM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > OK, so I successfully did build 0.8.1, but it does not like my root
7 > > file system parameter, dracut chokes and puts me in an emergency shell
8 > > and I have to mount it manually. I tried root=rpool and
9 > > root=rpool/root which dracut completely said unable to continue and if
10 > > I omit the root= altogether like I have done in previous versions, it
11 > > says it can't mount the root file system, and throws me into the
12 > > emergency shell where I can mount it manually. I do have rpool/root
13 > > designated as rootfs.
14 >
15 > I'm not sure if this is a dracut issue or a zfs issue, but on my zfs
16 > 0.7.13 system I have:
17 > root=ZFS=fast/root
18 >
19 > ...where fast/root is the pool/dataset I'm using.
20 >
21 > You might try adding the ZFS= to your root string. I wasn't aware it
22 > would even work otherwise.
23 >
24 > I have yet to try 0.8 - I'm not in a huge rush though I'm sure the
25 > TRIM support will help. I'm content to let everybody else run into
26 > issues like this for me... :)
27
28 On 0.7.13, I had to omit the root parameter altogether in order for
29 this to work. I think its a zfs issue because I use the same dracut
30 in both cases. I will also ask on the zfs list and see what they say.
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici wb2una