From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] for the speakup users on the list
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 17:29:11
1 On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Yes, I am blind and can disassemble computers okay but never could learn
4 > to assemble them since the equipment to test memory external to computers
5 > has been and will remain inaccessible. This if it's done will have to be
6 > done by a repair shop and likely will cost more to repair this machine
7 > than replace it if that much work is involved.
10 I was curious about speakup as I had not heard about it so I attempted
11 an install on my Ubuntu desktop but it's not in the default repositories.
12
13 Reading the Ubuntu docs they say speakup is applied as a kernel
14 patch to 2.4 & 2.6 level kernels and that to use it with a modern
15 version the patches would have to be ported. It appears that all
16 the docs on speakup I found quickly stalled out in 2008-2010.
17
18 https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/doc/Speakup
19
20 Do you know of newer work?
21
22 I'm curious about the program from a persona point of
23 view. When I started at National Semiconductor in 1978
24 we had a cantankerous old guy working on text-to-speach
25 synthesizers so I had a little bit of exposure.
26
27 There are old Ubuntu releases here:
28
29 https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/
30
31 If I can figure out what kernels they were running I could
32 possibly try creating a VM and see where it leads me.
33
34 Echoing Jack's comment, I'm not sure this is a heat
35 sink problem. Misoperation at the time of letting
36 go of the reset button prior to POST. If the machine is
37 starting cold a processor wouldn't overheat that fast but
38 I haven't yet read all of your thread.
39
40 I think there's also an opportunity here to do some sort
41 of remote debug with you if we can find anything that does
42 boot.
43
44 Mark