From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] did python-r1 improve user experience?
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 20:30:44
1 On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:11:59PM -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > On Sun, Oct 27 2013, Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >
4 > > Making things "just work" is complex when trying to juggle 6 or more
5 > > supported versions/implementations of python.
6 >
7 > Indeed.
8 >
9 > > We have tried to explain the magic make.conf lines in the Python user guide.
10 > >
11 > > https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/Python/python-r1/user-guide.xml
12 > >
13 > > We also try to make sure that most users never have to touch
14 > > PYTHON_TARGETS, etc; the default values provided by your profile are
15 > > set up to allow *stable* python2.7 and python3.2 to work properly.
16 >
17 > > ~arch users are expected to read the docs. ^_^
18 >
19 > I am a ~amd64 user and I just read the user-guide. :-)
20 > I do not see any action items for my system; but do see a large number
21 > of reinstalls proposed by emerge
22 >
23 > I do not change any python variables in make.conf so emerge --info shows
24 > PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7"
25 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2"
26 >
27 > a recursive grep -i for python in /etc/portage yields only
28 > ./package.use/imaging-pillow:5:virtual/python-imaging -python_targets_python3_2
29 >
30 > So I basically have the default except for the imaging/pillow business.
31 >
32 > I note that update world wants to rebuild a bunch of packages (the
33 > entire output is below). Some are qt-related others involve
34 > PYTHON_TARGETS.
35 >
36 > Does this mean that I can let the 44 packages / 38 reinstalls update occur
37 > and expect a running system to result? It is unusual, but I realize not
38 > unprecedented, to have so many reinstalls and I would like to confirm
39 > that this is expected.
40
41 I don't remember seeing your emerge output; but if this has to do with
42 pyton-exec you're not in the boat alone ... it is terribly fubared atm.
43 --
44 Happy Penguin Computers >')
45 126 Fenco Drive ( \
46 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
48 662-269-2706 662-205-6424
49 http://happypenguincomputers.com/
50
51 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
52 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
53 A: Top-posting.
54 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?
55
56 Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting