From: Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] DNS lookup fails on a server; no changes since it worked
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:12:27
1 I have a server out on the net, and it's been up for a week or two.
2 I've been on and off it all week long, but as of last night, DNS
3 didn't seem to work for it. Network connectivity worked, because not
4 only could I ssh *in*, but I could also contact the outside network
5 as long as I used something in the hosts file or an IP address.
6 Adding more (known good) DNS servers to /etc/resolv.conf doesn't seem
7 to help. DNS was working recently, and I haven't changed anything
8 since then. A reboot didn't help (I would have just stopped &&
9 started networking... but, well, all I have is ssh, so...).
10
11 One very weird thing is that it can apparently send mail to outside
12 network addresses. It could send to my gmail account fine last night,
13 though it seemed to take a while (20 minutes or so, when normally
14 it's instantaneous). I don't have gmail or google in my /etc/hosts.
15
16 I've seen elsewhere to look at the output of iptables, but it has
17 never been installed.
18 The contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf are at http://vlack.com/vlack/lol/
19 nsswitch.conf. I'm getting nowhere, and I have no idea why.
20
21 Thanks.
22
23 - Micah