From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ieee1394 card - ports order
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:16:23
1 Hi Joseph,
2 on Friday, 2006-03-24 at 18:51:17, you wrote:
3 > I was under impression that ieee1394 cards would work the same as
4 > USB-ports; regardless which port I plug my device into it will just
5 > work, not so with ieee1394 cards.
6
7 I'm not an expert on ieee1394 but from what I've seen they actually do
8 work the same in this respect, I've only tries SBP2 mass storage stuff
9 though, no cameras. Have a look at dmesg output; usually the kernel will
10 print some info there when you plug in a 1394 device. If it shows
11 nothing at all you most likely don't have all the modules loaded,
12 otherwise it should at least be an error message.
13 I heard the ports on some external HD cases were actually different in
14 that they accepted a host only on one but not the other, and there seem
15 to be some general problems in the kernel with daisy-chaining devices.
16 As you don't seem to have any oth these problems, no, I'm quite sure
17 order doesn't matter.
18
19 > In "kino" under settings there is IEEE1394 "tab" and has an option
20 > "raw1394 interface" option that is set to "0" I've tried setting it to
21 > "1" but it didn't work.
22
23 You do have the kernel support for that, don't you?
24 CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394 and CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO in .config?
25
26 cheers!
27 Matthias
28 --
29 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
30 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665